Short Communication

First report of suspected ethylene glycol poisoning in 2 dogs in South Africa : clinical communication

N. Keller, A. Goddard
Journal of the South African Veterinary Association | Vol 76, No 2 | a409 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/jsava.v76i2.409 | © 2005 N. Keller, A. Goddard | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 13 June 2005 | Published: 13 June 2005

About the author(s)

N. Keller,
A. Goddard,

Full Text:

PDF (387KB)

Share this article

Bookmark and Share

Abstract

Ethylene glycol (anti-freeze) toxicity is a serious emergency in both veterinary and human medicine. Ethylene glycol (E/G) is the active anti-freeze principle in radiator water additives. It is odourless, colourless and has a sweet taste. As little as 5 mℓ or 20 mℓ is sufficient to kill a cat or a dog, respectively. Ethylene glycol is rapidly absorbed and metabolised in the liver to oxalate, which is deposited as calcium oxalate in the kidneys causing irreversible damage. This report describes 2 dogs that were suspected to have ingested ethylene glycol. The report contains a description of the 3 stages of ethylene glycol toxicity as well as a short discussion of the treatment. Public awareness about the dangers of anti-freeze will help in limiting exposure of pets and humans to this potentially fatal toxin. Veterinarians need to be aware of anti-freeze toxicity as delayed recognition and treatment will lead to the death of the patient.

Keywords

Acute Renal Failure; Ethanol; Ethylene Glycol; 4-Methylpyrazole

Metrics

Total abstract views: 1869
Total article views: 4959

 

Crossref Citations

1. Nitrosative tissue damage and apoptotic cell death in kidneys and livers of naturally ethylene glycol (antifreeze)-poisoned geese
K. Özcan, H. Özen, M. Karaman
Avian Pathology  vol: 36  issue: 4  first page: 325  year: 2007  
doi: 10.1080/03079450701460757