Original Research

Efficacy of parenteral administration of ivermectin in the control of strongylidosis in donkeys

R. Binev, Z. Kirkova, J. Nikolov, A. Russenov, K. Stojanchev, L. Lazarov, T. Hristov
Journal of the South African Veterinary Association | Vol 76, No 4 | a429 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/jsava.v76i4.429 | © 2005 R. Binev, Z. Kirkova, J. Nikolov, A. Russenov, K. Stojanchev, L. Lazarov, T. Hristov | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 15 June 2005 | Published: 15 June 2005

About the author(s)

R. Binev,
Z. Kirkova,
J. Nikolov,
A. Russenov,
K. Stojanchev,
L. Lazarov,
T. Hristov,

Full Text:

PDF (146KB)

Share this article

Bookmark and Share

Abstract

Investigations into the efficacy of parenteral ivermectin (Pandex) administration for strongylidosis control in donkeys were carried out. The preparation was applied subcutaneously at a dose of 0.2 mg / kg (1mℓ / 50 kg body weight). One day prior to the treatment and 14 days post-treatment, individual coprological samples were obtained for faecal nematode egg counts and larval culture. The study was performed on 263 donkeys originating from different regions of Bulgaria. Prior to the treatment and 20 days after that, blood samples were obtained from 64 previously infected animals for monitoring of changes in eosinophil leukocyte counts. The subcutaneous application of ivermectin had an efficacy of 96 % in terms of reduction of faecal egg counts. In 92.2%of infected donkeys, a complete reduction of faecal eggs count occurred (0 eggs per gram of faeces epg), whereas in the remaining 7.8%of the infected donkeys, the egg counts were reduced by 72 %. The reduction in faecal egg counts did not result in changes in eosinophil counts. The results obtained as well as the lack of local changes after the subcutaneous application of ivermectin in donkeys allow us to recommend its use for control of strongyles in donkeys.

Keywords

Donkeys; Faecal Eggs Counts; Ivermectin (Pandex); Strongylidosis

Metrics

Total abstract views: 1908
Total article views: 2365

 

Crossref Citations

1. Pharmacology and therapeutics in donkeys
D. A. Grosenbaugh, C. R. Reinemeyer, M. D. Figueiredo
Equine Veterinary Education  vol: 23  issue: 10  first page: 523  year: 2011  
doi: 10.1111/j.2042-3292.2011.00291.x