Original Research

Should veterinarians consider acrylamide that potentially occurs in starch-rich foodstuffs as a neurotoxin in dogs?

L. Le Roux-Pullen, D. Lessing
Journal of the South African Veterinary Association | Vol 82, No 2 | a47 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/jsava.v82i2.47 | © 2011 L. Le Roux-Pullen, D. Lessing | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 11 April 2011 | Published: 11 April 2011

About the author(s)

L. Le Roux-Pullen, Department of Paraclinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, Private Bag X04, Onderstepoort, 0110 South Africa., South Africa
D. Lessing, Frankfort Dierekliniek, PO Box 215, Showgrounds, Frankfort, 9830 South Africa., South Africa

Full Text:

PDF (122KB)

Share this article

Bookmark and Share

Abstract

Three clinically healthy Labrador puppies developed ataxia, hypermetria and convulsions shortly after eating the burnt crust of maize porridge. Two of the puppies died. Acrylamide toxicity was considered based on the history of all 3 puppies developing nervous signs after being exposed to a starch-based foodstuff that was subjected to high temperature during preparation. Acrylamide-induced neurotoxicity is thought to partially result from a distal axonopathy.

Keywords

No related keywords in the metadata.

Metrics

Total abstract views: 2128
Total article views: 2619


Crossref Citations

No related citations found.