Case Report

Suspected poisoning of puppies by the mushroom Amanita pantherina : case report

T.W. Naudé, W.L. Berry
Journal of the South African Veterinary Association | Vol 68, No 4 | a900 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/jsava.v68i4.900 | © 1997 T.W. Naudé, W.L. Berry | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 13 July 1997 | Published: 13 July 1997

About the author(s)

T.W. Naudé,
W.L. Berry,

Full Text:

PDF (696KB)

Share this article

Bookmark and Share

Abstract

Amanita pantherina poisoning is suspected as the cause of a severe, transient neurological disorder in three 5-week-old German shepherd puppies. There was very strong circumstantial evidence that this mushroom had been eaten, and the signs encountered were similar to those described in confirmed field cases of intoxication in dogs. It was also in many respects consistent with the syndrome seen in humans. A veterinary perspective on the hallucinogenic Amanita spp. is given and the veterinary literature on mushroom intoxication is briefly reviewed as, in contrast to humans, it is not often reported in animals. This is the 1st report of suspected mushroom intoxication of animals in South Africa.

Keywords

Amanita Pantherina; Canine; Coma; Hallucinogenic Mushroom; Ibotenic Acid; Intoxication; Muscimol

Metrics

Total abstract views: 1965
Total article views: 3617

 

Crossref Citations

1. Mushroom poisoning
Nicola Bates
The Veterinary Nurse  vol: 7  issue: 8  first page: 470  year: 2016  
doi: 10.12968/vetn.2016.7.8.470